Thursday, December 12, 2013

Video response

I thought both videos were so cool to start off by saying. I really loved being able to recognize many similarities and overlapping aspects of both process and product in seemingly unrelated fields such as art, comedy and football. Of course stand up comedy and music are considered art forms but even those I don't think get clumped in with visual arts  very often. It is amazing to see how all it takes is a new angle of viewing to open up your eyes so much to a incredibly interesting and enjoyable opportunity of analysis. I loved especially hearing about how this is not just an obscure or vague   connection being made among dissimilar practices but rather a very valid and recognized comparison being made in many people's minds. Hearing Tom Brady speak about his views on preparation process and brainstorming is infinitely more compelling than seeing him throw a touchdown pass. I attribute this to my artistic interest in how work is made rather than just the finished work itself. Jerry Seinfeld's legendary status and humor is seen in his famous show and stand up routines and I really enjoy his talent but I have never considered what the process of coming up with a joke would be like. He makes people laugh for a living and is incredibly good at it which like any skill, football, art, music etc, requires natural ability, but also let's of practice and initiative. I think that it's very rewarding to hear Seinfeld's process for creating something as temporary and intangible as a stand up joke. It's so short lived but packs a punch like a lot of art that I am interested in such as street art, and public instillations.
I find it incredible and so impressive how articulate and clearly jerry Seinfeld was able to convey his process (or a small par of it). Jerry Seinfeld like any artist has preferences unique techniques of his which work for him. His dependence on a specific type of ballpoint pen and his refusal to work on the computer rather than paper reflect his discovered pathway to success and familiarity. I could definitely connect with how jerry said he was skeptical to show his process and unfinished work to an audience or a camera because I makes him feel a bit vulnerable. I think this is true for many artists including myself, and even athletes and teams. The idea of revealing a work in process to an audience is unnerving because it is not where you intend it I be when it is finished and yet it is being presented for peer review criticism. 

No comments:

Post a Comment